Benefits of EDM Machining
Electrical discharge machining, or EDM, is the process of removing material from a workpiece using thermal energy. Also called spark machining, arc machining, and burning, this advanced machining method melts or vaporizes material instead of using mechanical force, such as cutting devices. This offers a range of benefits.
- High Dimensional Accuracy
- Cuts Complex Shapes Easily
- Creates Fine Holes
- Fast Processing Capability
- Stable Process
- No Deformation or Delamination
- Quiet Manufacturing Method
- Perfect for Close-Fitting Parts
- Machines Thin-Walled Configurations Without Distortion
- Non-Contact, Non-Forcing Process
- Leaves Little to No Burrs
- Material Hardness does not Impact the Process
- Custom Tooling Often is not Needed
EDM transforms raw materials into finished parts with precision electrical discharges. When manufacturing, an electrical current passes between an electrode and a workpiece using a dielectric liquid. The dielectric fluid acts as an electrical insulator unless enough voltage is applied to bring it to its ionization point, where it becomes an electrical conductor. The resulting spark discharge erodes the workpiece to form a desired final shape.
Quality Materials for EDM Machining Services
A finished product is only as good as the materials from which it’s made. Subpar materials are prone to premature failure, which can cause expensive recalls, elicit negative customer feedback, harm company perception, and, ultimately, hurt the bottom line.
Moon Tool & Die understands not just the capabilities of our equipment, but also which materials they are best suited to machine. EDM can cut any conductive material with relative ease. It excels with hard and brittle materials for which conventional milling is inappropriate.
Advantages of Wire EDM Machining
- Quality & Precision: Our Wire EDM machines are able to cut and match your prototypes and designs within +/- .0001”. Precise cuts allow for high dimensional accuracy, especially among extremely fitted parts.
- Speed: With the ability to long run unattended and precisely produce precision parts, our Makino U32J and Makino DUO43J machines allow for less set up time, as well as faster processing times to reach a finished product.
- Cost Effective: Moon Tool's Wire EDM Machining services provide accurate and reliable cuts at some of the most competitive costs in the region. When working with a variety of costly materials, wire EDM Machining allows better dies and molds to produce in a single process.
Industry-Tailored EDM Machining Solutions
EDM is well suited for the production of small, highly detailed items that would typically be too delicate for other machining options. Additionally, the process is cost-effective for low-quantity projects and can prove to be beneficial in prototype manufacturing. Versatile and accurate, precision EDM parts machining services from Moon Tool & Die Co. are perfect for an array of industries.
- Renewable Energy